The KPI Charts report enables you to view, in graph form, selected key performance indicator (KPI) data for particular segments of users over a selected time range. For example, you can monitor the number of daily active users, the number of users who spent money in your app or the total number of items purchased by each user for the current day or month. The KPI Charts screen contains a KPI graph and several controls which enable you to customize the data displayed in the graph. For general information about KPIs in Swrve, see Intro to KPIs.
You can perform the following actions to customize the data displayed in the KPI graph:
- Select the report on which the KPI graph is based.
- Define the KPI graph settings.
- Select the time granularity.
- Define the time range for which data is generated.
- Select and remove the KPIs and segments included in the graph.
- Configure how Swrve reports revenue KPIs.
In addition, you can perform the following actions on the KPI Charts screen:
- Create new reports.
- Delete existing reports.
- Add annotations to the KPI graph.
- Print KPI graphs.
- Save KPI graph data in CSV file format.
The KPI graph displays the KPI and segment data for the selected report for a particular time range and time granularity. The following image shows an example of a typical KPI graph:
The Y-axis displays the relevant performance indicators, such as the number of users, or revenue amount. The value k is appended to Y-axis values which are in the thousands, while M is appended values which are in the millions. The X-axis displays the time period.
Data point markers on the graph enable you to view specific data for a particular point in time; placing your cursor on any data point marker on the graph displays a tooltip which details the KPI and segment data for that point in time. A data point marker can be solid (for a regular KPI) or an outline (for a partial KPI). For more information about partial KPIs, see Intro to KPIs.
Customizing KPI Chart Data
The following sections provide information about how to customize the data included in your KPI chart.
Selecting a Report
To select a report on which the KPI graph is based, simply select the required report from the Report list.
Defining KPI Graph Settings
To define the KPI graph settings, select or clear the following check boxes:
- Show average lines – displays the average values of all visible data points in the graph.
- Show annotations – displays user-defined annotations in the graph.
Selecting Time Granularity
To select the time granularity for the graph, click one of the available options:
- Daily – values are summed and report as a total value for each day of the selected time range.
- Hourly – values are summed and reported over the course of each individual hour.
- 24 hour rolling – 24-hour rolling data is the sum of all available hourly data for a KPI over the past 24 hours. Values are summed and reported for the most recent 24-hour period up to the most complete hour for the selected date range. For example, the 24-hour rolling KPI value for 12:00pm PDT on a Monday includes the sum of all hourly data for that KPI for each hour back to 1:00pm PDT of the previous day. By viewing data in 24-hour rolling mode, you can view gradual changes from the hour, instead of viewing the steep incline or decline that may be displayed if you view data in Daily or Monthly mode.
Defining the Time Range
There are two options for defining the time range.
- To display data for a set time period, click the desired time range:
- Last week
- Last month
- Last 3 months
- Last year
- All time
- To manually define the time range:
- Click the arrow to the right of the calendar function to display the calendar dialog box.
- Enter the time range in the From and To fields or click the start date and end date in the calendars and then click Apply.
Adding Data to the KPI Graph
To add data to the KPI graph:
Step 1: Select a value from the Add KPI list.
Step 2: In the for list, select the segment of users for which you want to view the KPI. To display the KPI for all users, select All Users. For more information about segments in Swrve, see Intro to Segmentation.
If the KPI has a currency option, a Currency list displays. In this instance, proceed to Step 3. Otherwise, proceed to Step 4.
Step 3: Select the currency from the Currency list.
Step 4: Click Add to chart. The data is added to the graph and each data item is listed as a color-coded link at the top of the KPI graph.
Removing Data from the KPI Graph
Each data item (such as a particular KPI, segment or currency) in the KPI graph displays as a color-coded link at the top of the graph. You can perform the following actions to remove or isolate data items within the graph:
- To remove a particular data item from the KPI graph, click the x icon to the right of the color-coded link.
- To remove all data items from the KPI graph, click Remove All below the KPI graph.
- If the KPI graph contains multiple data items, you may want to isolate a particular data item in the graph and hide the other data items. To do this, click the icon to the right of the data item. To show the hidden items and return to the previous view, click the icon again.
Configuring How Revenue KPIs are Reported
On the Report Settings screen, you can define a multiplier to be applied to the default currency (USD) for reporting revenue KPIs. For example, you might define a multiplier to report revenue as profit, to report revenue in Euros or to report revenue net of tax. For more information, see How Do I Configure How Revenue is Reported?
The following sections provide information about the additional actions you can perform on the KPI Charts screen.
Saving New Reports
To save a new report:
Step 1: In the Report list, select an existing report you want to use as the basis for the new report. If no previous reports have been created, the Report list is empty. In this instance, proceed to Step 4.
Step 2: Customize the KPI graph data for the report as required.
Step 3: Click Save new to the right of the Report list.
Step 4: In the Save Report dialog box, in the Report Name text box, enter a name for the new report.
Step 5: Click Save to save the report.
The report is now available in the Report list.
Deleting Existing Reports
To delete an existing report:
Step 1: In the Report list, select the report you want to delete.
Step 2: To the right of the Report list, click Delete.
The report is deleted and is no longer available in the Report list.
An annotation is a manual note that marks a significant event, such as the launch of a campaign. You add annotations on the Report Settings screen. Swrve provides a link to this screen by means of the Add annotation link above the KPI graph. For more information about adding annotations on the Report Settings screen, see Intro to Analytics.
To include annotations in the KPI graph, select the Show annotations check box.
Printing KPI Graphs
To print a KPI graph, in the top right corner of the KPI graph, click the print icon. Depending on the type of browser you are using, the print screen or print dialog box displays. Define your required print settings and print the KPI graph.
Saving KPI Graph Data in CSV Format
To save KPI graph data in comma-separated value (CSV) file format, in the top right corner of the KPI graph, click the download CSV icon. The CSV file is downloaded to your local machine.